Tonight Gonzaga and North Carolina will battle on the basketball court in Phoenix to crown the national champion for NCAA division one men’s basketball. This game closes out my favorite time of year. I hate for it to end! CBS will air a video showing many of the dramatic and exciting moments from the tournament at the conclusion of the evening. The music included with the video is a song called “One Shining Moment”. For a college basketball fan, it is an iconic moment. Here is the video from last year’s tournament.
I am a sucker for these types of compilation videos. They demonstrate the highs and lows of various teams along their journey through the tournament. I watched several of the “One Shining Moment” videos from previous years while preparing this blog. It is enjoyable to reminiscence about years gone by. As I think about my own life, I can identify some shining moments from the past.
- January 23, 1994 – this is the day I fell asleep at the wheel of the car I was driving. My future wife was in the car and, thankfully, no one was injured. It was a dramatic moment that served to get my attention. My faith in Jesus Christ was birthed on that day.
- June 22, 1996 – the day I married the woman of my dreams! I was not aware at that moment how well my wife and I complemented each other. However, growing together over the years has illuminated to me how amazing we are together. I am exceedingly thankful for her.
- January 13, 2014 – the day I started at my current employer. For several years prior to this, I worked my full-time day job and studied to pass professional actuarial exams. It was the culmination of a long road to breaking into a new career as an actuary.
This is an extremely small sample of moments from a list of many. It would also include the birth of each of our children, academic excellence awards, and travels to foreign countries just to name a few. All of these moments and more would be in a “One Shining Moment” video about my life.
I want to encourage you with two thoughts today.
- Everyone has a highlight video. What is included in yours? Think back to those moments in life that have defined and shaped you. Embrace the highs for energy to press on in the face of obstacles. Allow the lows to motivate you to never give up.
- Your story can inspire others. The journey that you have traveled has its own unique flavor. Your life experiences have taught you lessons that others need to hear. Refusing to share your story deprives the world of the benefits gleaned from your individual contributions. What is holding you back?
Tonight’s champion will be immortalized in the next installment of the “One Shining Moment” video. While your highlights may not receive worldwide attention, they are no less worthy of consideration. Let us make sure to remember those moments for our own motivation and share them to inspire others.
Question: What stories do you have to share? You can leave a comment by clicking here.
Sign up for updates and never miss a weekly post!